What is Employee Motivation?
Employee motivation is the level of energy, creativity, and commitment that an employee brings with them to work everyday. Therefore, it has a major effect, positive or negative, on every aspect of a company. Motivated employees do their best to get the job done, improving workplace efficiency and productivity, and serving as examples for the rest of the team. On the other hand, unmotivated employees only do what’s necessary to get by. They’re not going above and beyond to complete tasks, and they’re more likely to start looking for job opportunities elsewhere.
Types of Motivation
There are two types of motivation: intrinsic and extrinsic. It is important that you understand the difference between the two to improve employee motivation.
Intrinsic motivation is when an employee engages in behaviour because they find it rewarding. In other words, an intrinsically motivated employee performs an activity for their own sake, rather than from the desire of an external reward. The behaviour or activity itself is the reward.
Extrinsic motivation is when an employee is motivated to perform a behaviour or engage in an activity to either earn a reward or avoid punishment. In essence, an employee engages in behaviour because they expect to get something in return or wants to avoid something unpleasant.
Intrinsic Motivation vs Extrinsic Motivation (Examples)
- An employee participates in a workplace competition because they find the activity enjoyable
- An employee learns all the tools and techniques required to do their job because they find it interesting
- An employee arrives to work on time because they like having time to get situated
- An employee participates in a workplace competition because they want to win awards/rewards
- An employee learns all the tools and techniques required to do their job because they want to be a top performing employee
- An employee arrives to work on time because they want to avoid being written up
Motivate Your Workforce With TheLeanSuite
Employee motivation is something your organization can cultivate. In addition to traditional incentives, such as raises and promotions, your organization should offer more personalized rewards tailored to their workforce. Luckily, TheLeanSuite’s Suggestion Platform and its built-in recognition and reward system can help you!
The Suggestion Platform is designed to boost employee engagement and fuel a culture of performance in just four easy steps:
- Collect Suggestions: your workforce earns points for every suggestion they submit that can be redeemed for prizes later on
- Provide Instant Feedback: with real-time notifications, rest assured that your workforce will feel heard and valued
- Take Action: collaborate with your workforce to create solutions
- Recognize and Reward: using the Marketplace, you can curate a prize catalogue unique to your workforce and recognize and reward top performers